Friday, August 21, 2009

Website Committee

Dear Rotarians,

Greetings from Cape Cod! I read about how hard our new Briarcliff Rotary president Mark Seiden is working back home trying to put the new organization in place. I remember on 8/7 meeting, Mark handed out a sheet of Club’s Planned Events of the year and various posts & roles for our Club members to participate. Among the roles, a Website Chairman was listed. You all know that we have a blogsite, I would like to take this opportunity to fill you in with a little of its background as well as my thoughts about that role.

I am not a technical person but I’ve been relying heavily on my PC for information gathering and data keeping as well as communicating with my family and friends for years. I like websites. However, I’ve been paying for my personal domain of a Website www.franceschu.com for years but I never got it started because it is just a bit too difficult to use. It is still there - empty.

Back in February this year, a friend while vacationing in Orlando, helped setting up a Blog site for me. I found it easy to use and it is free. By following his instructions, I also set one up for Briarcliff Rotary for our Club to try it out. With President Peter Fulfree and Paul Rosen & few of our board members’ consents, it has been up and running and keeping our Club’s program & event schedules, weekly reports as well as some pictures from our Club’s activities for Rotarians, their families, and friends to view and read.

I volunteered to maintain our blogsite. But basically, I just do some ‘copy and paste’ from emails I received. The http://briarcliffrotaryclub.blogspot.com has also been listed as an item on the Rotary Club’s Websites list on www.rotary7230.org since March. Our blogsite although may not be as fancy in design as I would like to see, but it is by far one of the more up-to-date websites fill with latest news as well as recent activities on our district’s list.

As you probably have noticed that I’ve been using the word “website” and “blog site” intermittently... Why? Simply because based on my research by Google-ing, I found that a website can have the attributes of a blog, and a blog can do anything a website can. Because they are both websites.

Acting as our blog site’s administrator, I’ve been talking with some of you asking you to accept the role of an administrator, or an author for our blog site, but so far, no one has accepted any of those roles. Since Mark and the new Board members now are looking to formally establish a Website Chairman’s role, I would be happy to work with anyone of you if you have already volunteered to accept that role. If no one has volunteered, I would be happy to volunteer provided if I can persuade some of you to work with me to establish a Website Committee?

May I propose that we begin by one day perhaps Paul Rosen can bring in his laptop for me to give you all a demo of our blog/website? Perhaps we can start with a steering Committee of 4 to 6 members and that our first job is to define the roles and goals of a Website Committee, as well as to identify opportunities for all Club members’ participation as authors, auditors, or reviewers?

Thank you for reading this email. I hope you’ll give it some thoughts to participate in making our Website a big success by considering joining the Website Committee. I’ll see you all on Friday, 8/28.

All the best,
Frances
You are welcome to visit my personal web site:
http://franceschusblog.blogspot.com
I like to read your comments :-)